Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Wanted to make chocolate Chip cookies a few days ago. Went into the pantry to grab the bag of chocolate chips I'd purchased about a month ago, and it was feeling a little....light. Sure enough, there was a small cut across one corner. It wasn't that way when I bought it :s I show it to the Cyberchaun - we know exactly which heathen is responsible. Heathen number 1, who was gone to camp at that time and somewhat safe from my wrath. So today, I decide again to make chocolate chip cookies. I haven't forgotten that the bag of chocolate chips is now half empty (I'd like to point out that it was NOT half empty when I first discovered the pilfering deeds of my oldest child - she's been busy since she got home.) No, I just decided that she deserved to eat chocolate chips that were decidedly less chocolate-chippy.

Problem is, that doesn't really work. See, I've used this recipe many times. It's not the one on any package. It's the recipe of my all-time favorite Food Network personality. I know it makes wonderful cookies just the way my family likes them. So today, when the first batch came out decidedly less fluffy, and extremely flat - yet chewy, I knew something was wrong. Did I use the wrong ingredients? No - I remembered to use bread flour instead of All Purpose or Self-Rising. Well, I did use regular salt instead of Kosher - it's just hard to measure that Kosher salt once the container starts getting low....... But really - can the difference between regular iodized and Kosher salt be all that great? No, I firmly believe that the difference - the cause of these blasphemous versions of cookies - is the lack of sufficient numbers of delectable little chocolate chips! Which can be laid firmly at the feet of a VERY un-penitent (is that even a word?) 13-year old! I'm not happy. I'll still eat the cookies. I mean, they're COOKIES. But I will know with every bite what they might have been! And I'll be a little more sad each time..........

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Uncle uncle would gladly take care of those for you. He doesn't like chocolate chip cookies because they are too chocolatey. He will eat those from the end of the batch that have very few if any chips. Did you get my text about the lemon bars????