Thursday, May 15, 2008

Free At Last.....For A Time...

Our church had our kids' Spring Musical last night. I was the Drama Coordinator. It's been a grueling couple of months to get this done, and it's over! The actors did wonderfully -really nailed their lines. The choir snag beautifully, and LOUDLY - which is not always the case. The loud part, not the beautiful part. Overall I was very pleased with the performances. I just wish we'd had about 2 more weeks to practice. The schedule kept getting changed on us. Not anyone's fault, really, this is just turning into the Year of Scheduling Conflicts. Hopefully next year will be better :P

I'm just glad to be done with this one for now, because I'm looking at a couple very busy weeks! It's the last half of the final 6 weeks of school. So, of course, there are field trips that need chaperoned, school dances, graduation parties, award ceremonies, the list goes on and on. And of course I'm somewhat in the thick of things. Why? Because I guess I really believe that playing an active role in my kids' lives will have an impact on their present and their future. At least I really hope so. See, my kids are special. Special to me, like I would hope everyone's kids are special to them. But a bit more than that, my kids are just plain smart. I don't know why. I don't think I'm all THAT much above average, the same for the Cyberchaun. We get our kids teachers coming to us saying things like "I don't know what it is you're feeding kids - but keeping feeding them because they are just amazing!" This from their 1st grade teacher (they all somehow managed to have the exact same 1st grade teacher....poor woman ought to qualify for some kind of state aid for that at least......) And my response is "I feed them junk and fast food, so I should continue with that, then?" She thought I was kidding......... (of course, they get less junk since The Pioneer Woman changed my life, but still.......) Now, my oldest heathen is scary-smart. I'm serious. I mean, she's not quite Ender, and she doesn't make straight 100% grades or anything. But anyone just talking to her is amazed at her intelligence, intellect, wit and wisdom. She's 12 - soon to be 13, and was offered the opportunity to take either the SAT or ACT this year with the high school kids. She chose the ACT - and made a 22 out of 36 - placing her in the 95th percentile with the high schoolers taking the exact same test - 98th percentile with other 7th graders taking it. She's just amazing. That would be so cool in and of itself, but add in that she's an amazing artist - already winning medals and awards at art competitions.

I get to bragging on her and people might think my other 2 heathens are getting slighted. Don't go there - I'm just getting started :P. They'll get their turns another day. Today was for heathen number 1 - why? Who knows. I often tend to go in age order on things that include all of them. Not always oldest down, sometimes youngest up. Which always leave the poor boy right in the middle.........Ree will have to clue me in on how to handle this dreaded middle-child syndrome.........

No comments: